Portrait of Knox copied from the original painting in the possesion of Lord Torphichen at Calder House--Wikipedia
WHO WAS JOHN KNOX?
John Knox (c. 1510 – 24 November 1572) was a Scottish clergyman and leader of the Protestant Reformation who is considered the founder of the Presbyterian denomination. He was educated at the University of St Andrews and worked as a notary-priest. Influenced by early church reformers such as George Wishart, he joined the movement to reform the Scottish church. He was caught up in the ecclesiastical and political events that involved the murder of Cardinal Beaton in 1546 and the intervention of the regent of Scotland, Mary of Guise. He was taken prisoner by French forces the following year and exiled to England on his release in 1549.
When Mary Tudor ascended the throne and re-established Roman Catholicism, Knox was forced to resign his position as royal chaplain and leave the country. Knox first moved to Geneva and then to Frankfurt. In Geneva, he met John Calvin and created a new order of service, which was eventually adopted by the reformed church in Scotland. He left Geneva to head the English refugee church in Frankfurt but he was forced to leave over differences concerning the liturgy.
On his return to Scotland, he led the Protestant Reformation in Scotland, in partnership with the Scottish Protestant nobility. Knox helped write the new confession of faith and the ecclesiastical order for the newly created reformed church, the Kirk. He continued to preach until his final days.
John Knox Beginnings
In the early 1960's the Presbytery of the Cascades established three experimental churches in Oregon. John Knox was one of them, beginning with the arrival of the rev. Richard Mastbrook in Keizer in October, 1962. Knocking on hundreds of doors, Mastbrook invited residents and encouraged the unchurched to become charter members of a new Presbyterian church. Members of First Church who lived in Keizer were also invited to transfer their membership.
Presbytery purchased the lot, built and furnished the building and bought a manse. And on May 26, 1963, the building and grounds were dedicated and received by the new congregation, neighbors and representatives from Presbytery, Salem Ministerial Association, the Board of National Missions and other Presbyterian churches. The reception of charter members, election and installation of elders-trustees and the formal call of the pastor were all accomplished that evening.
Historical Notes: October 1962 Canvassing for members by Dick Mastbrook begins January 27, 1963 Groundbreaking ceremony & 1st church potluck June 2, 1963 First worship service June 23, 1963 Installation of The Rev. Richard Mastbrook 1964 Organ purchased for $1,975 December 5, 1965 The Rev. David Francis Installed 1966 Church basketball team formed August 1, 1971 The Rev. John Geoff Installed July 1972 First board of Deacons installed 1975 The Rev. Ross Jackson Called as Interim Pastor 1976 The Rev. Dean Klarr Called for Pulpit Supply April 1977 The Rev. Eugene Kinney Installed October 1981 The Rev. Hank Hartmann Called for Pulpit Supply November 4, 1984 The Rev. Michael A. Brown Installed April 25- Nov 15, 1999 Angus Crocker Interim Pastor Feb 15- Sep 3, 2000 Peter Notehelfer Interim Pastor Sept 11, 2000-2003 The Rev. Mary Jean Bird Pastor 2003- 2008 The Rev. Donald Shaw Pastor 2007 Leaky Sanctuary roof replaced 2008 Peace wall built by member Tim Noland Nov 2008-Aug 2012 The Rev. Denise Mosher Stated Supply Pastor